Log 31 Aug 2008


& Malcolm's entry (below)

Six members turned at car park at 7.00am Sunday morning.
Sean, Fraser, Malcolm, Koon, Andy and Dave.
Jim and Shirley joined the party at Spean Bridge.

Cars parked at 2 kilometres up track from Corriechoillie.
Walking started at 10.15am and all continued up the track SSE for 6k to Lairig Leacach bothy, arriving at approx 11.40 am.
After a short break for food and a dry off, six members then started off to climb the two Munros,  STOB BAN and STOB CHOIRE CLAURIGH.   Fraser left the bothy later, climbing Stob Ban only.  

Malcolm was last seen brewing  tea on his gas stove.  He was waiting for rain to stop before climbing Stob Ban then walking on to a bothy in Glen Nevis and staying overnight then walking out over the Mamores on Monday to catch a bus at  Kinlochleven, making good use of his free bus pass.

The six climbed Stob Ban up the NE ridge on a reasonable path taking about  1hr 15min then continued N to reach Claurigh 45min later.
Descent was down long north ridge of Goire na Creanan arriving back at cars at 4.30 pm.

Fraser arrived back at car at 4.00pm., having descended from the col between the two mountains.

Weather - Wet all day, cloud level about 2,500ft.  At least it wasn't cold.
Time taken - 6hrs 15min

Report by Dave Kingswood.

P.S.  Malcolm  provided a full account of his continued walk,  which has been added as a separate entry to illustrate navigational problems in such wet conditions in this area.

Grey Corries:  Malcolm's entry.
Having despatched the others to climb Stob Ban, I lit the bothy fire and settled down to dry off, whilst waiting for a clearing in the weather. This never materialised, of course; so at about 2.00 pm I set off in the rain to climb Stob Ban followed by its outlier Meall a Bhuirich and thence on to Meanach bothy in glen Nevis for the night. A slightly tricky river crossing prompted the thought that my options for Monday might be limited unless water levels dropped.

Meanach is a comfortable bothy with two rooms, one stone-floored for drying out wet stuff by the fire, the other wooden-floored for sleeping and eating. In fact, I'm pretty sure that on previous visits there was also sleeping space in the loft but this has now been boarded up - perceived fire hazard perhaps? Has the long arm of the HSE reached bothyland? Heaven forbid! In any case, the only fuel for a fire was a large, rotting pine log from which slivers of wood could be prised by hand. Needless to say, this did not provide enough fuel to keep the fire going for long.

Monday dawned with mist down to ground level and a steady drizzle, but at around 8.00 am the clouds cleared miraculously to reveal a warm sun in a clear blue sky. Even the summit of the Ben was clear. What a fabulous morning! Having decided against trying to wade the Abhainn Rath to reach Sgurr Eilde Mor, I decided to try to reach Binnean Beag from the watershed further west. This time the river crossing was easy but just as my sights turned to the hill it disappeared in  clouds that had sneaked up the glen, and soon rain was pouring down. The decision to head west down glen Nevis to Fort Bill was easily taken, and by about 2.00 pm I was at the roadhead, just in time to see the sun reappear.

The six mile trudge along the road was eased by a short lift, and at 4.00 pm I was washed, changed and  sitting with a fish and chip tea in Morrisons, whilst awaiting the 5.00 pm bus back home.
All in all, a splendid outing!

Report by Malcolm Hodgins