Log 2 May 2010


7 members assembled at the car park and discussed possibilities

Koon, Billy and Laurence decided to take a car across the ferry to tackle GARBH BHEINN.
Donald and Jimmy had bikes in Donald's car, and were going to cycle from the ferry to Cona Glen to reach hills at the far end.  Dave and Fraser (with Radley) were going to walk from the ferry.

The Great Ridge is described as one of Scotland's mountain classics with perfect rough gneiss, absorbing airy climbing, a rugged setting and fantastic west coast views.

After a 9:45am start and crossing a Scottish version of the Everglades we arrived in the 'general vicinity' of the start of the Great Ridge Direct, 325m Severe eventually finding a line.

After moving too far towards Great Gully and Koon finding herself in a less than ideal situation (a rocky slab on which she could have done an impersonation of Torville and Dean) she moved left and 'joy of joys' found two pitons and a obvious route.   Whoops of delight reverberated around Coire an lubhair - we were off and flying.

Then followed sustained climbing for 12 pitches (approx) with Koon leading and producing some fine moves.   Billy brought up the rear with an adequate amount of beeps (swears) as he tried to psyche himself for the next part of the climb.

The summit was reached at 6pm and several 'high fives' were exchanged between Koon and Billy. With a long, long, long walk ahead and the last ferry at 9:15pm Koon took off at breakneck speed whilst Billy brought up the rear with an adequate amount of beeps (swears).
A big thank you to Laurence who offered to carry my rucsac for the last 15 minutes of the walk out.  I would have gratefully accepted had he offered to carry me as well!

Laurence opted for the summit followed by a splendid return via Sron a' Gharbh Coire Bhig.

When we got to the ferry Koon called Donald and discovered that rather than waiting at the pub with celebratory beers after our 'conquest' the rest of our group were back home in Glasgow wrapped up in their duvets.

What's happened to the Milngavie Mountaineering Club?

Report by Billy McIsaac

Some of what happened to the rest now follows.

Fraser opted for SGURR NA H-EANCHAINNE, taking advantage of excellent visibility. 
The route was road to the old graveyard, then up to the watershed, where the possibility of walking out to Beinn na Cille was considered, but didn't look all that interesting, so the summit was reached by the north ridge.  
The coir was followed round to the ridge which leads down to the waterfalls.  
This now appears to be the favoured route for both up and down the hill.   Views were indeed superb with Nevis clear all day.   From the wireless mast below the waterfalls, farmland was followed to the road, then a beer outside the pub whilst waiting for Dave. 
5 hours 40 minutes leisurely walking time.

Report by Fraser

Dave and Radley left the ferry at 9:50am and walked via Sallachan to the track up Glen Gour on the south side of Lochan nan Gabhar.   After 3 km the river was crossed and ascent made of BEINN NA UAMHA, reaching the summit at 1:30pm.  
Return by the same route, arriving at ferry at 4:45pm.  Terrain - very wet and boggy after leaving track.   Walking from the ferry not advised, as too long along the road.

Report by Dave