Log 15 Sept 2013


Alex Maclennan and Robert Wright stayed at Ratagan on Thursday night.  Friday was a crisp clear day perfect for the Forcan Ridge, first taking in the Graham BIOD AN FHIDHICH. We avoided the bypass path and stayed on the arete throughout the ascent.  The steep 15m downclimb from Sgurr na Forcan was bypassed to the left.  Alex climbed and downclimbed the problem, but still would not have downclimbed it straight off.  Lunch at THE SADDLE trigpoint with views to Skye and Knoydart.  Misty on top of SGURR NA SGINE.  Whisky at summit as Robert's 50th Munro.  Mist cleared and walked out over Faochag with a steep knee crunching drop off the nose.  Easy walk back to the car as river low.  On Saturday, Alex took Dave K and Kevin to Sligachan carpark, left them heading to Marsco,  and traversed GLAMAIG, the northern Red Cullin and MARSCO alone, meeting his companions at the bealach between the Red Cullin and Marsco.  Steep scree ascent of Glamaig but several good fast scree runs/ slides. Fantastic late lunch views from Marsco of Blaven the misty Black Cullin and the Small Isles. On Sunday, high winds and rain, but better than the gales/storms that were forecast.  Alex and Robert climbed the low BEN TIANAVAIG by Portree, as recommended by Donald.  Excellent small hill.  Sea views, several small spires and pinnacles, and even dry and sunny at summit.  Our plans for another walk came to nothing as it was wetter and windier on the mainland so home by late afternoon.
Report by Alex Maclennan

Friday 13th Sept:

Kevin, Dave and Donald left Bearsden around 11am and following a brief stop at Morrisons, Fort Willam, arrived at Glen Shiel at 15:15 where Kevin and Dave climbed Biod an Fhithich following a fairly good track up to the coll between the Forcan ridge route and BIOD AN FHIDHICH arriving at the summit at 17:15.   We then headed north along  the A'Mhuing ridge and descended to the campsite at Glen Shiel where Donald collected us at 19.15 and headed via the Dornie Hotel for some drinks before arriving at the Old Inn, Carbost at about 21:00 for more drinks.

Saturday 14th September:

Kevin, Dave and Alex headed for Sligachan and started walking at 9am with Alex opting for a round of GLAMAIG, BEINN DEARG MHOR and MARSCO while Kevin and Dave opted for Marsco and Beinn Dearg Mhor. We would meet up with Alex later for drinks and transport arrangements. Kev and Dave headed south down Glen Sligachan following a good track towards Loch Coruisk. We left the track after 4Km and followed the Allt na Meassarroch SE for 1 Km before climbing the steep northern grassy flank of Marsco reaching the summit around 12:15. By this time Alex was on his 2nd Graham of the day. We stopped for lunch on the summit with time for photos of Sgur nan Gillean, Clach Glas, Bla Bheinn etc. Great weather conditions with bright blue sky, light breeze and some cloud. Descended via Coire nan Laogh and headed for the Mam a' Phobuill where we met Alex who was now well ahead of us with respect to time. We ascended the scree slopes of Ciche na Beinne Dearge before traversing Beinn Dearg Mheadhonach and dropping down to the Bealach Mosgaraidh before the final push up to the summit of Beinn Dearg Mhor arriving at approx 15:50.

Descended north to the Bealach na Sgairde and then east down a grassy ridge following the Allt Daraich back to Sligachan arriving 18:00. Alex who had arrived back at Sligachan 2 hours earlier had managed to head back to the hostel for a quick change/shower/ food/drink and was back to collect us as we came off the hill.

Sunday 15th September

As promised Sunday was a wet, windy and generally miserable day with respect to the weather,but we were forever optimistic. Kevin, Dave and Donald headed off for Glen Arroch and the road to the Kylerhea ferry where Dave and Kevin climbed the Graham ' BEN ASLAK' and Donald climbed Beinn Dubh a' Bhealaich and BEINN NA SEAMRAIG (Marilyn). Donald had managed to take his car along an unmarked forestry track to get us up to aprox 400m in the mist and wind, surprisingly no rain. The climb took both groups approx. 2 hours after which we headed home stopping at Inveragarry.
Report by Kevin Murray
Friday 13.   Ron, Fraser, Drew and Steve took a break at Frot William on the drive north and then round to Loch Slapin to tackle BLA BHEINN.  Due to the late start, we stuck to the obvious tourist route both up and down.  Conditions were mainly dry, but cloud was hanging low on the ascent.  People coming down had had nil visibility, and were fairly wet.  A shower just before the summit gave way to clear visibility for us, and a dry descent.  Views were excellent.   Time just under 4 hours.  We made a brief stop at Sligachan.
Saturday 14.   Ron, Fraser, Drew, Steve and Robert drove round to Glen Brittle.  We followed the now very well maintained path round to Coire Ghrunnda and stopped at the lochan for lunch.  Conditions were dry with very good visibility. A bit of clambering and a pleasant ridge walk took us to SGURR NAN EAG. As we descended, we could see the change in the weather slowly approaching.   The intention had been to take in Sgurr Dubh Mor, but Ron and Fraser left the others as they traversed towards their next objective,  Descending cloud made route finding difficult for them ,and they decided that  time was also a factor, so they followed down shortly after.   In future a 07:00 start would be necessary for that round.  Time 8 hours 30 minutes.
On the Sunday Ron, Fraser, Steve and Drew simply drove home.  The appetite for future Skye visits had been duly whetted.
Report by Fraser Gold