Log 13 Oct 2013


Dave K, Robert W, and Phil B set off in one car to tackle Bidean.  Ron and Fraser went together to Buachaille Etive Beag (see report by Ron).
From the car park just past Alt-na-reigh on the A82, we started on the path that leads to the Lost Valley.  After about 1.5K we branched off right, and Dave led us up the zig-zag path to the top of Gearr Aonach.  This proved to be a great climb with lots of nice scrambling.  Conditions were clear and sunny and there were superb views here, and indeed for the rest of the walk.
Following the ridge to Stob Coire nan Lochan,  the summit of Bidean came into view.  After a short break, we continued SW along the ridge to Bidean, and then SE to the summit of Sgreamhach, again with good scrambling and fantastic views (see Dave’s and Robert’s photos). 
At the top of Sgreamhach we met four young ladies from Edinburgh Uni, one of whom had climbed her first Munro the day before – the Aonach Eagach ridge!
Returning to the bealach we descended on a fairly steep, scree-ridden path to the Lost Valley and back to the car (total time about 6.5 hours). 
We gave one of the Edinburgh girls a lift to her car further along the A82, then called in at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel, by which time Ron and Fraser were back in Milngavie.
Report by Phil Barlow

We arrived at the car park in Glen Coe (at the Lairig Eilde to Glen Etive signpost) under a cloudless sky having narrowly missed a magnificent stag which bounded across the road in front of the car as we approached the car park (although I would not have been describing it as magnificent if it had landed on my bonnet).
Setting off at 09:00 we followed a good path SW along the Lairig Eilde for about 1km before heading up a stepped path to the col between the two Munros.  We reached STOB COIRE RAINEACH  after 1 hour  40 minutes with the sky more or less cloud free which gave great views in all directions.  After an early lunch we headed back down to the col and then up the path to STOB DUBH, reaching the top at noon.  We retraced our route back down arriving at the car just under 5 hours after setting off – and with dry boots! 
Throughout the walk we could hear the stags rutting in Lairig Eilde but we were unable to actually see them.   It was a relatively easy walk taking in two Munros and made all the better for such good weather. We stopped off at the Bridge of Orchy hotel for a drink but, unsurprisingly considering the length of their walk, we were there before the others so we did not linger. 
I had just arrived home when I received a phone call from Phil as he arrived at the hotel.
Report by Ron Dorn