Log 11 April 2010


Sunday at 7am saw Iain W, Kevin, Noelle, Stephen, Ian G and Shaun at the car park. 
Laurence, co-ordinator for the day, manfully struggled out of bed nursing a sore back and intimated that he would be missing out today as he was "hors de combat", as it were, but would be with us in spirit!

Much debate and trading-off of hills, in the usual MMC fashion, followed with nobody very definite about what they wanted to do. 
However, Shaun, Stephen and Ian opted for BEN STARAV and GLAS BHEINN MHOR with the possible (and optimistic) inclusion of the rather distant BEINN NAN AIGHENAN.  

I will let them tell their own story.
Kevin opted to come with Iain and Noelle but his objective was BEINN MHIC CHASGAIG.  
Kevin will submit his own account of his day, along I hope with some superb photos which we enjoyed viewing on meeting up again later in the day.
Ah, the wonders of digital photography!

Iain and Noelle opted to climb STOB DUBH also known as Beinn Ceitlin.
This is a most imposing, no-nonsense straight up-without-a-pause ridge which is seen at its best (or worst, depending on the weather and ones energy level) from Coilleteir cottage. We made our way over towards the base of the south west ridge which climbs skyward and is interrupted at about mid point by a series of rocky bluffs which are "easily turned on the right" according to the guide books.   The quality of the views and the going underfoot increased in relation to height gained and soon we were on the summit enjoying late June- type heat and clarity of vision. A prospective (and hopeful) sweep failed to reveal Kevin on Mhic Chasgaig, but we enjoyed watching the labours of the other three on the North West Ridge of Ben Starav.   Lunch, a summit snooze and some photos followed.  
We then descended to the bealach which separates this hill from its subsidiary (and lower) summit known as Bheinn Ceitlin. 
A very steep descent on the usual "hanging garden" terrain followed into Glen Ceitlin and we walked out along to our starting point at Coillieteir.
The river Etive is most impressive at this point and a pause on the bridge allowed us time to observe the deep pools and the beautiful rocky architecture of this spot.
We headed, very belatedly, to our rendezvous spot with Kevin half way up Glen Etive to find that he had been cooling his heels for two hours! 

We headed down to Crianlarich and stopped for a beer at the hotel.  
Great to see this place open to all comers as opposed to exclusive coach traffic, but it desperately needs two or three guest beers to make it more of a climbing magnet.

Report by Iain Wilson and Noelle Ryan

Further to Iain's Report the attached is brief summary of the alternative up Ben Starav.

Shaun, Stephen & Ian started the walk at 9:30 and took the long slog up Ben Starav.
Although the weather was fantastic we could have done with a cooling breeze and the water supplies quickly diminished with all of us running out before end of the day.
After enjoying lunch and taking in the clear views around 1:00 at the top of Ben Starav we proceeded round the corrie to the top of Stob Coire Dheirg and down to the bealach where Shaun and Stephen dumped the rucksacks and decided to go for Bheinn nan Aighenan.  
Ian decided two would be enough and proceeded onto Glas Beinn Mhor on understanding that Shaun and Stephen would catch up!   Ian arrived back at the car around 6:15 with Shaun and Stephen returning around 8:30 after completing the three Munros. 
Time did not allow for a pint and we arrived back in Milngavie at 10:30.

Report by Ian Gilmour

Kevin travelled with Noelle and Iain Wilson and was dropped off at 9:20 half way down Glen Etive.   
Access to the east side of the river was gained by crossing the bridge near Allchaounn Lodge which previously had been restricted by barbed wire and a locked gate placed on the bridge by a somewhat discontented estate owner.  The gate is now left unlocked.  
The east bank of the Allt a'Chaorainn was followed.  After 1km the river splits, but can be crossed by a single plank bridge.   A good track and a pleasant narrow glen lead ESE and then up onto the western flank of Beinn Mhic Chasgaig.  
The ridge was followed east to the summit (2 hours 30 minutes) and then down to the col between Clach Leathad and Beinn Mhic Chasgaig, then south to the track back to the starting point by 2:00 p.m.to sunbathe and take in the views until transport arrived around 4:30 p.m.

Report by Kevin Murray