Log 10 Nov 2012

Derek H, Fraser, Ron & Allan caught the 09:45 Friday ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick.  As this was probably the last Arran weekend I was expecting a full turn out to say “good bye” to the hills we have spent a decade exploring from Derek’s house in Whiting Bay, but we were the only four.
We stuffed our entire luggage into Derek’s car and Fraser & I joined as foot passengers.  We met up in the ships restaurant to enjoy a full fat breakfast – enough to last us till the evening.

We squeezed into Derek’s car for the journey to High Corrie where Derek dropped us off for the ascent of Goatfell.    We walked up the Corrie Burn then south onto the Meall Breac ridge and up to the top of GOATFELL.    The cloud was low and we saw little except mist but we could “see” the surrounding hills in our imagination prompted by the sight plate on the summit.    Of course it cleared on the way down for us to glimpse Brodick and the ferry in the distance.    Derek met us at the “car park” where he dropped us off and we stopped for a quick pint in the Brodick Bar to examine the menu for later.   We looked at the “Coast” restaurant menu on the way past but it did not open for an hour so we adjourned to The Eden Arms Hotel to check their menu; however we were informed that the hotel bar would be full on the next night.   A quick return to the Coast ensured a table booking for Saturday night.

The next day saw Fraser walking from Lamlash to Clauchlands Point and then by the cliff top past the hill fort to Brodick for the 13:50 ferry, whilst Ron & I were transported by Derek to the North Glen Sannox car park for the Glen Sannox house-shoe round.    The weather however was not co-operating, the cloud was low, the river was high and difficult to cross and part way up the Ceum na Caillich ridge the sleet was horizontal.   We sheltered from the wind & snow a few times as the ridge is exposed but eventually decided that we did not like the ideal of climbing the “Witches Step” in the poor weather.
A return down the Glen to the car park was the wise option, however re-crossing the river would prove to be difficult.   Eventually we crossed at the “ford” just out of the wood.   It was 18” deep and moving very fast.   We luckily escaped with only wet feet.  Derek walked up the Glen to meet us and hot showers were quickly demanded to re-gain our body temperature.
The nice boys in the Coast had bought in Strongbow Cider as a special purchase after I had expressed dismay at only Magner's being on the drinks list.  The food was excellent and I was presented with the “excess” cans of Cider as we left – it did not last long.!

The Sunday weather was slightly better and after the heavy rain the Glenashdale falls was going to be worth seeing.  We returned via The Giants Graves – early Neolithic tombs that command a spectacular viewpoint over the Firth of Clyde.
A leisurely return on the ferry and a journey home in the rain followed, getting home about 18:40.
A great weekend was had by all.
Report by Allan Carr