Log 1 Feb 2008


  1. I will pinpoint some of the weekend's high points
     Pen-y-ghent, Fountains Fell, Wheatsheaf, Ingleborough,   Old Hill,
    Whernside, Station, Great Coum and the Sun.
    Also enjoying these locations and experiences were JW, DH, MH, FG
    and AGC any of whom will be only too happy to elaborate
    Not wishing to disappoint Donald, I will add my contribution.

    Malcolm, Fraser & I arrived at the bottom of Pen-y-ghent at about 1pm
    after a phone call from Donald saying the weather was cold & windy but
    As we stopped the car, the wind reached nearly gale force strength & was
    laced with a lot of snow.   We waited for 30 minutes or so for the snow
    to abate a little but it started building up on the road giving Malcolm
    concern that the car would be stuck.
    We decided to retreat to the Ingleton YHA, however it is hidden down a
    back street off the market and is difficult to find.  On the 3rd time
    around the one way system, we found it.

    Derek had returned to his car from Pen-y-ghent & was waiting for Jimmy &
    Donald who had continued to climb Fountains Fell.
    At the YHA I was relaying message from Donald to Derek as snow was
    building up and mobile reception was patchy.
    The weather did not improve so we adjourned to the Wheatsheaf Inn in
    Ingleton.  The Wheatsheaf had a roaring fire & a good food menu.
    After everyone returned we all (except Jimmy) ate at the Wheatsheaf &
    later toured Ingleton, sampling the real ales on offer.

    The YHA was not busy so we had to promise a minimum number for
    breakfast.   Extra bacon, fried egg, sausage etc. was available for
    those hungry enough after the results of the drinking in the Wheatsheaf
    Inn etc. the night before.
    It was eventually agreed to climb Ingleborough on foot from Ingleton.
    There was a light covering of snow and the clouds lifted as we
    approached the top giving a grand view of the surrounding countryside.
    Derek descended back to Ingleton to collect his car leaving the rest of
    us to go NW to the Old Hill Inn at Chapel le Dale.
    Ingleborough has interesting rock formations (Clints & grykes) and the
    hill is so popular that the paths are paved with rock or are duck-boards
    over bog
    The Old Hill Inn sells Black Sheep Ale & Thather's Gold cider.   It also
    serves local home cooked lamb however Donald & Malcolm dragged
    themselves up Whernside, intending to descend to the Station Hotel at
    the Ribblehead Viaduct.
    The rest of us were just finishing off our drinks to rejoin the road
    downhill in the snow to Ingleton when Derek arrived by car.   We
    returned to the YHA, which was evacuated due to a fire alarm caused by
    melt-water dripping into the smoke alarms.
    After a few more fire-alarms Derek drove back up hill with Jimmy to
    collect Donald & Malcolm from the Station Hotel.   It took a while for
    them to sample the 18 real ales on offer
    Derek & I ate at the Wheatsheaf and were joined later by the rest for a

    No YHA breakfast as not enough wanted a full cooked breakfast so it was
    cereals & cold milk
    Fraser, Malcolm & I returned to Pen-y-ghent.  It was still very cold and
    windy but the snow held off.

    Donald, Derek & Jimmy climbed Whernside or Great Coum and enjoyed a post
    walk drink in the Sun in Dent.   A very picturesque 17th C village near
    Gunnerside in Ribbledale.

    I think both cars arrived home about 4 - 5pm after a weekend of dodging
    heavy snowfalls, great hills & traditional English pubs.

    Report by Allan Carr